Laura Versus the World

I'm 25, working in the Hague, the Netherlands, for the Office of the Prosecutor for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. I also travel and party a lot!

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Merry English Christmas!

Merry Christmas, one and all!!

I have been having a lovely time in Leeds, Northern England, with Charlotte and her very welcoming family.
There was almost disaster on the way to the airport - I had just left home to catch the 1pm bus on Saturday, when I realised I had forgotten my passport and the train tickets (both necessary things for travel!), and when running back down the stairs, I twisted my ankle. It wasn't a bad sprain, but it did prevent me putting my weight on it immediately, so my friend Marte kindly helped me with my bags, but we still missed the bus!! Thankfully, we had left plenty of time with the early bus, so the next one, 20 minutes later, meant we still made the 2pm train in plenty of time!!

Our plane at Copenhagen was delayed by about an hour, then we were stuck on the tarmac at Heathrow while various things such as no free stand, a broken tug and passenger's luggage prevented British Airways landing us properly - the helpful pilot kept updating us, however I would have preferred not to keep hearing the various excuses of airport incompetence!! After the 3 hour drive to Leeds from Heathrow, we were glad to get some food and a nice long sleep, not waking up til 2pm Christmas Eve.

Christmas Eve is also Charlotte's mother's birthday, so we had a nice dinner and some presents. I spoke to Mum and Dad that evening, as it was already Christmas in Australia!! Christmas Day was cold and grey, unfortunately no snow, but we had a lovely time, opening presents (the generous family had even gotten me lots of cute little things!), and then eating lots of nice hot food, like turkey, baked vegies & Christmas pudding.

I am now officially addicted to British soaps, having watched both Emmerdale and Eastenders every day since Sunday - it's very relaxing, but also disturbing watching Home and Away overseas, presenting a very unrealistic idea of what Australian life is like!! More eating and drinking with neighbours and relatives, as well as sleep and watching TV, has characterised the rest of this week, which is just what I need, after the stress of exams etc over the past few weeks!!

So I hope you have all had a lovely Merry Christmas with your family and friends, and have an enjoyable start to the New Year - I will be partying with Germans and Italians back in Denmark, so it should be lots of fun!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home