Laura Versus the World

I'm 25, working in the Hague, the Netherlands, for the Office of the Prosecutor for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. I also travel and party a lot!

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Views of my world


My street


Sunset over the canal

Just a quick post to show some photos of my new adopted city - I finally spent some time wandering around it the other weekend, enjoying the late afternoon sunshine (not warm, but pretty!), so I took some photos. I also took a photo of my street, to show the lovely little streets I keep talking about!

Work is starting to get busier, with increased access to programs meaning increased amounts of information to analyse, sort and enter. We watched some of our case this afternoon in court, which was very interesting - the mix of common law and civil law procedures is very interesting, with the judges and even the defendants able to interject with questions at any time - something I'm certainly not used to seeing!!

And my social life continues to thrive, as usual!! Last week we had severe storm warnings, meaning we were sent home early from work, told to stay indoors, and they closed all the train stations! These are part of the severe storms that have been killing people in Britain and Germany, so we were lucky to only get some wind and rain in my little part of the world! Emily, who is here from New Zealand with her brother Patrick, got stranded, however, as Patrick had gone to Amsterdam with their one set of keys, and couldn't get back because the trains weren't running! So Emily stayed at my place in an impromptu sleepover :-)

On Friday night we went out to a fun club, dancing til 3am as usual, which meant my Saturday was unproductive again! Saturday night we went to a Kiwi party, of a Shell Oil employee that Patrick had met in a club the previous week, so another late but fun night! And Sunday night we watched the last half of the 'Death of Yugoslavia' documentaries we had started the previous week, so now the history of what we're working on makes a lot more sense!!


James (Aussie) tearing up the dancefloor


Frida and me



Emily and me

Big Australia Day plans for Friday - the Australian Embassy here has invited us for drinks, and then we will show all the other interns how to celebrate in style! I may also head to Amsterdam for the weekend (it's only about an hour away on the train) - busy busy as always!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home