Laura Versus the World

I'm 25, working in the Hague, the Netherlands, for the Office of the Prosecutor for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. I also travel and party a lot!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Legoland!

I did a few other interesting things this week, such as opening my Danish bank account (I got a card with our opera house on it - thanks Jorn Utzon for engineering that!), paying my rent, making spaghetti sauce for the first time (which is highly challenging without measuring cups or weights!), and seeing some funky live Danish music at our local student house.

On Thursday night, one of the other Aussies, Ben, had his 21st, so we all headed to one of the other colleges, Skjebyparken, for a good old Aussie BBQ, and then some drinking - it was a fun night! Especially as when we tried to buy normal Aussie sausages, you know, the thick ones, we could only get one giant creepy sausage, which dwarfed all others - highly amusing!



However, the highlight of the week was our Saturday excursion to Legoland! I talked about it a lot before I left Australia as one of the exciting things about this Denmark Today course, and we all even made sure we got an early night on Friday night, so we would have a better day on Saturday. And it lived up to expectations!

It turns out there are 4 Legolands, one in Windsor, England, one in California, one in Germany, and the one we went to, the original, in Billund, Denmark, which is about 1 1/2 hours from Aarhus.



Basically, it's like Australia's Wonderland, so some fun rides, lots of stuff aimed at kids, but with the added bonus of lots of things made out of Lego - like whole countries and villages, animals, pirate ships, dragons - it was really cool! And there was this really cute little 4-D movie (the 4th dimension not being time, as is usually thought, but instead things like mist, smoke and droplets of water!), where Lego men and women battled an evil Lego sorcerer - it was just gorgeous!

The rides were fun, water ones with vikings and pirates and various animals, but we avoided some of the dodgier-looking roller coasters!



So we had a fun day, behaving like little kids - I even bought a stuffed toy, a very cute little dragon - I know I've overused the word 'cute' in this post, but it's the most apt word for the situation!




I also finally bought an umbrella this week, after losing mine the week before - a much needed commodity in this crazy Danish weather, which is sunny one moment, pouring the next!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well well, Legoland sounds like something my family would love, especially if it involved actually getting to play with Lego!
    Glad you are still enjoying yourself - getting to Uni at any point soon?? :) Just feeling bitter because i am at work and you are travelling! Enjoy it!
    Ally

     
  • At 6:47 am, Blogger Jane & Cam said…

    I want to go to Legoland...sigh it takes me back to the lego exhibitions in Grace Bros...or was it David Jones...when I was little.

    Particularly like the elephant!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home